Monday, May 6, 2013

Saudi Arabia

I've never been to Saudi Arabia.

 And really the only folks I know of who have stayed there temporarily are those who worked in the oil industry. So now that it seems that Saudi Arabia is slowly opening it's doors to tourism, and with saudi airlines booking becoming more accessible, there may be a few places that I would one day like to see....

 Beginning in the north there is Madain Selah with it's pre-Islamic archeological sites and Standing Stones. Then there is the Empty Quarter, the largest area of sand on the planet-it's area is larger than Texas! It is said that dunes can rise as high as the Eiffel Tower! Of course the wind can shift the size of dunes from time to time. Here you can probably see camels and oryx. Then in the south there is what just may be considered the most liberal shopping mecca of Saudi, Jeddah. Here you can traverse the souqs, take in the coral houses and I wonder if there is diving in the Red Sea reefs? The country of Saudi Arabia also contains both holy cities, Mecca and Medina (Makkah and Madinah) to which all able Muslims are to make a pilgrimage (hajj). I have no idea if I would ever be able to see either of these two places being outside that religion.

 At any rate there are surely some wonderfully fantastic things to see if a visit to Saudi Arabia ever becomes reality.

 That I'd like to see.

No comments: