Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nederland

I've never been to Nederland.

Some good friends of ours recently packed their moving trucks for Nederland, so I am sure there will be a time that I make it over to this "Dutch settlement".

In the 1800s, Arthur Stillwell constructed a railroad from Kansas City to Lake Sabine. Since his financial backing came from Holland, he chose to give many of the towns along the line Dutch names. Some Dutch came and settled in Nederland, as did folks from all over the U.S. Today in this small Texas town, when I go to visit my friends, I will likely want to stop by and see the La Maison Des Acadiens Museum which pays tribute to the French settlers who came from South Louisiana. Also I would like to stop by the Windmill Museum. This museum was built to preserve the Dutch heritage. Here there is a windmill with 25 foot blades, artifacts from the town's early days, memorabilia of singer Tex Ritter who lived some time in Nederland, and the 1952 Olympic gold medal won by Nederland native W. F. Buddy Davis.

That I'd like to see.

No comments: