Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ancient China

I've never been to Ancient China.

I really cannot even remember studying it during school. This week I have started a study on ancient China with my kids. I did not realize that the name "China" most likely came from the first ruler who united the seven warring states, Qin ("Chin"). Even as we read over this the first couple of days, it did not hit me until we were reading something today that said it out straight-forward.

During this "Dragon King's" reign, many things were accomplished with his harsh laws and way of ruling. The Great Wall was started, using slave laborers. He also used these workers to build his terra cotta army to guard over his tomb (funny, since he thought he was immortal!) He built canals and bridges, unified weights and measures and coinage among the country. He unified the written language though books and Confucianism infuriated him to the point of burning books.

There were many advances and inventions in China that were not dreamed of until hundreds, even thousands, of years later in the Western world.

Each time we have studied an ancient people, I have been truly amazed at their learning and culture and realize just how much we owe to them.

That I'd like to see.


2 comments:

hifidel said...

There really were so many amazing advancements made in ancient China. It is hard to believe.

The Chinese name for China is usually translated "Middle Kingdom," a pretty good literal translation. It is probably just as accurate to translate it "center of the world." That says a lot about the ancient mindset, doesn't it?

silken said...

oh yes, I did read that. I found that to be impressive! there sure is some amazing stuff we have been reading!

thanks for stopping by! (surprised!) :)