Wednesday, October 1, 2008

theater gutting

I've never been to a theater gutting.

But today I was saddened to see one in process. I went to visit the theater where my family has performed over the last six years. It is located at a community college and has been a place for many community members of all ages to perform. But due to lots of damage from Hurricane Ike, the theater is having to be gutted. It was sad to drive up and see the whole costume shop laid out in the lawn, bagged to be thrown out. Most of it is not salvageable due to the mold that has set in. They would not let me stay and help out; it is a health hazard and I would have to have a respirator to work there. But the spirit of the theater lives on. Although they did have to cancel the fall show, the auditions and performance of the Christmas show are still moving ahead. The performance will be at another branch campus. And all the damage assures that the college will basically be getting a new theater.

That I'd like to see.

No comments: