Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fiddler on the Roof

I had never been to a production of Fiddler on the Roof.

But I got to go this past Sunday to see a great local performance. We knew five of the actors and two of the crew. This was put on at a local community college theater and the actors were all great with really good singing and dancing. I cried in several parts and laughed in many. I really enjoyed the bottle dance and the visit from the "ghost".

In reflecting on some of the topics in the play, I think there is a lot to be said for tradition. But in the same breath, I’d have to say that change can bring good too. It often surprises me when I look back through history and see the people from “long ago” going through the same struggles we go through today. Sure, the settings may be different, but our humanity is the same. Our struggles with society, family, faith, friends and perceived enemies are perhaps more the same throughout the world and time than we often realize. And I really like the idea that each "of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck."

That I'd like to see.


No comments: