Thursday, January 17, 2008

Capulin Volcano National Monument

I've never been to Capulin Volcano National Monument.

This is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico. There are trails to follow that will allow you to see inside the extinct volcano. The lower trail is only about .2 miles and allows you to go inside a vent to see inside the volcano. The longer upper trail winds one mile around the crater rim. You can see evidence of the eruptions throughout the volcanic hills by the lava rock located on the hills and mesas. The trails are self guided and fairly easy to hike.

That I'd like to see.


2 comments:

Sharon Hurley Hall said...

I once went to Mt Teide in the Canaries. The modern volcano was more than 3,000ft tall yet was only a fraction of the height of the ancient volcano. I had many of the same feelings when driving and walking through there.

silken said...

wow! I bet that was a really great experience. I really wanted to go over to this one, but the 14 hour drive to it prompted an immediate "NO" from my husband. My 7 yr old nephew did ask if we could walk in any of the lava tubes!