Saturday, May 12, 2007

Clear Lake Greek Festival

I've never been to the Clear Lake Greek Festival before yesterday.

We went on a Friday, when it was free for homeschool families. Although the festival was rather small, we had a good time. We got to walk through the Agora-the Greek Marketplace. We saw things for sale like beaded jewelery, lovely blouses, trivets, pictures and photographs, soy candles and lots of Greek goodies.

We got to sample some great food as well. We headed first of all for the pastry stall and bought a sampler box. This contained one each of four different kinds of pastries. We all loved the kourambiedes, the one covered in powdered sugar. The baklava wasn't bad either. My son had souvlaki-marinated pork on a stick. It was pretty good. My daughter had the fried doughnuts and a tyropita-a cheese pie. I had the spanakopita-the spinach pie (spinach, feta cheese, cottage cheese and seasonings in a phyllo crust) very good. I would liked to have had more of these.

We enjoyed the beginnings of a class on Classical Greece, but unfortunantely had to leave before it was done. Perhaps we will get to attend this another time.

That I'd like to see.


No comments: